On March 5, 1890 the voters at Town Meeting took the preliminary steps necessary to establish a library by authorizing a sum of money to defray the expenses of remodeling the upstairs of the Old School #7 as a library. The first floor was to be renovated to house municipal offices.
From “Dracut Library Heritage” by John C. Katin.
Today we know Old School #7 as Town Hall. The above image, (of what we know as “The Selectman’s Chamber” on the second floor of Town Hall), is from a painting in the collection of the Dracut Historical Society.